Extreme angler and biologist Jeremy Wade takes spine-chilling monster fishing adventures to find out whether these freshwater mysteries are all tales or frightening facts
The Amazon River is the hunting ground for a terrifying line-up of the world’s most ferocious RIVER MONSTERS; a river this dangerous will not give up its secrets without a fight…Extreme angler, freshwater detective and biologist Jeremy Wade takes viewers on an all-new spine-tingling, mystery-filled freshwater monster hunting expedition in River Monsters 6. Premiering Tuesday, July 8 at 9:00 p.m. on Discovery Channel, the six-part series is one of his most challenging, with Jeremy having to travel over the course of a year to extremely remote locations across the Amazon to get to the bottom of inexplicable mysteries surrounding some of the deadliest human attacks by the most vicious RIVER MONSTERS on the planet.
The amount of water flowing through the Amazon is greater than the flow of Ganges, Congo, Mississippi, Nile and Yangtze – combined. These tropical waters are so abundant that the concentration of fish species is 10,000 times that of the ocean, and this includes some very real RIVER MONSTERS. “I’ve been fishing the world for decades, but it’s the Amazon that keeps calling me back,” notes Jeremy. "Now, I’m returning to solve the mission of a lifetime to spend an entire year going farther, deeper and more remote than I’ve even been before.”
From the politically charged intersection of Brazil, Colombia and Peru, to the remote and secluded home of a rainforest tribe, Jeremy is crisscrossing the continent to tackle each incident and reel in each dangerous catch. This season’s mysteries include:
- Man-Eating Monster: All over the Amazon are stories of a monster fish that grows so large, it is believed to have swallowed men whole. Locals call it the lau-lau, but after 20 years of searching, from Peru to Brazil and Colombia, the evidence Jeremy needs – a single colossal specimen, stills eludes him. Now, he has discovered a secret, untouched location deep in Guyana’s remote rainforests where he suspects they may be thriving. Embedding himself in the wild jungle, this time it is different: he is not coming back until he catches it.
- Brazil – Amazon Apocalypse: In 1981, more than 200 passengers perished without a trace when the Sobral Santos – supposedly the safest river boat – sunk in the middle of the night in the deepest part of the Amazon, many rumoured to have been eaten alive in the water. If this was in fact the work of a river monster, this catastrophe would have a greater death toll than all of Jeremy’s other investigations – combined. Jeremy goes to extreme lengths to crack the mystery, travelling hundreds of miles across the Amazon, Rio Negro and Padauiri rivers to unearth the beast behind this massive attack.
- Bone Crusher: When a corpse with highly unusual injuries is found, Jeremy instinctively knows that he is on the trail of possibly a new monster. He soon learns the dead body is only the tip of the iceberg – there has also been a spate of unexplained disappearances and people have seen a huge unknown creature patrolling the water. Could all these three factors be connected? To solve this mystery, Jeremy confronts one of his biggest fears and encounters a river monster that he has never dealt with before.
- Jungle Terminator: Three mysterious deaths in Peru, Colombia and Brazil leave Jeremy with no choice but to cross dangerous borders and pass through territories of warring tribes to live with the Matis – a mysterious, secretive tribe, deep in the Brazilian Amazon. It seems they have a unique and death-defying way of catching these culprits. Can they get Jeremy closer to the terrifying beast he has come this far to find?
- River Of Blood: A brutal underwater mutilation of a young man leads Jeremy to a face-to-face confrontation with one of South America’s greatest freshwater fighting fish that slashes and stalks its prey while living in one of Argentina’s most dangerous waterways.
- Body Snatcher: In the remote rivers of Guyana, Jeremy is on the hunt for a new candidate for largest freshwater ‘fish’ in the world – a predatory freshwater mermaid. Could there be some truth behind the legendary Water Mama, which is said to be responsible for chilling reports of people vanishing, with their bodies never to have been found? Locals believe this long-haired, white-skinned creature lures people from the surface and drags them down into the depths.
River Monsters 6 is a weekly murder mystery, following Jeremy’s worldwide search for harrowing tales of man-eating freshwater beasts with the hope of finding out whether these freshwater mysteries are tall tales or frightening facts. For fans who are hooked and cannot wait for the new season to reel in, relive the most petrifying moments of RIVER MONSTERS seasons 1 to 5 daily, Mondays to Fridays, starting May 12 through to June 30 at 7:00 p.m.
RIVER MONSTERS 6 encores every Friday at 11:00 p.m., Saturday at 8:00 p.m. and Sunday at 11:00 a.m.