Saturday, August 15, 2015

Kanser on its 35th staging

My first immersion with Bulwagang Gantimpala was during my high school days when they were still based at the Metropolitan Theater when the place was still grand. Because of my fascination with the theater, I see the productions of Bulwagang Gatimpala not just a school requirement. I already seen Florante at Laura, Ibong Adarna, the tagalog version of Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare, El Filibusterismo and Kanser better known as Noli Me Tangere the musical.
Photo used with permission of Bulwagang Gantimpala

I got to see Kanser again when my theater actress-cousin played Sisa for Bulwagang Gantimpala. I admit I got a new perspective of the production even though I've seen it. For its 35th staging, Kanser brought in many actors and had different directors ever since.

What makes Kanser demanding because of many patron high schools that continue to immersed the students not just in the story but also in theater. Not only that, the political situation now maybe different but the social problems in the society is still the same which makes Kanser still relevant in today's audience.

Written originally for Bulwagang Gatimpala by Jomar Fleras, music by Jed Balsamo with choreography of Paul Alexander Morales. I happen to hear Mr. Balsamo's work in a Mulan musical(not the Disney version) because my cousin was also part of that production.

Cast includes Michael Pangilinan and Jacob Benedicto alternating as Crisostomo Ibarra, Myramae Meneses as Maria Clara, Bodjie Pascua as Pilosopong Tasyo and a lot more. Kanser will be staged starting in September at AFP theater. For more updates about Bulwagang Gantimpala and their productions, follow this blog and like L.E.N.S. blogs on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment