Wednesday, February 25, 2015

TAYO Awards 2015

When I first created this blog, it was about documenting my advocacy programs before it became a professional blog site. Now, it became instrumental for promoting other advocacy campaigns. Last year, I had a privilege to see the awarded student initiative programs that was recognized for TAYO(Ten Accomplished Young Organizations).

Last year, I got to interview one representative of an organization and I was really impressed with what I got to know about the program. This time, I am about to start a series of posts about the campaigns of this year's TAYO. I assure you will be impressed with what these students done than any politician or philanthropists can innovate.

So let's start the ball rolling, shall we?

If there's a blood drive for transfusion, there's the Milk Drive. It's not from any dairy product. I am talking about mother's milk. It was an initiative from UP College of Medicine Phi Lambda Delta Sorority to initiate breast milk donors from communities they visit.

According to Ms. Maria Angela Villa of Phi Lambda Delta Sorority, this campaign not only helps promote awareness that breastfeeding is still the best source of milk in the child's first years, but it also initiates other mothers provide breast milk for those who can no longer provide it.

If the biological mother is no longer capable to give breast milk for her child due to possible and various reasons, this is the right program to help the community. Just like blood transfusion, Ms. Villa said that applicants are also screened before donating breast milk and they also help educate mothers.

The Milk Drive was already been operational for less than a year and they already have been visiting communities/health centers in Tondo and Quezon City or even outside Metro Manila and even in the Philippine General Hospital. The milk they had gathered from the communities is contained in an ice chest and will be pasteurized and brought to PGH. The campaign was successful that even their fellow sorority alumni members showed interest and support.

I will continue with the rest of the participating organizations and their campaigns on my next posts. If you are interested with the campaign I featured and desired to get involved, feel free to reply to this blog post or directly message me via my L.E.N.S. blogs Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment